Friday, October 7, 2011

Upper GI Results

Dallas had his Upper GI this morning and the radiologist confirmed the findings from the dye study last Tuesday.  His intestine is in fact malrotated.  I did ask the radiologist why his Upper GI at birth was normal, since it is my understanding this is something you are born with, and she said she could only guess, but it was probably just missed or it was at just the right angle to make it appear "normal," when in reality it was not.

We believe he will have to have the Ladd procedure to correct the problem. (I have researched this surgery online, but don't want to explain it until I get confirmation from the surgeon...)  The radiologist was sending report to his pediatrician and we are just waiting to hear back regarding meeting with a surgeon.  This finding is frustrating to me as there have been signs of potential GI trouble.  I did mention the events at his 1-year checkup which lead to the immune system check, but GI wasn't considered (probably because his upper GI at birth was "normal").

My chest feels heavy over this one, but I keep telling myself, THANK GOD Dallas pulled his g-tube out on Tuesday morning.  We are so lucky that this was caught and hopefully will get corrected before his intestine actually twists and creates a block causing very serious trouble for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment